Over the next 3 years, our schools are going to be taking part in a very exciting Erasmus+ project called LTT, funded by the British Schools Council, with partner schools in Wales and Spain.
LTT project has 3 major aims:
- To help pupils gain the necessary skills to help them make changes within their school and their communities.
- To improve community engagement and develop effective links between pupils, the school and members of the community.
- To support pupils, families and members of the community to bring about positive changes within their own communities.
In order to complete the project, the schools will be doing the following:
Year 1 (2015 to 2016) Working with a group of Year 5 pupils on identifying an aspect of the school that they would like to change /?improve. The school will show the children how they can use a model, known as the ?Double Diamond» model, to lead them through the process of making change.
Year 2 (2016 to 2017) The group of children that took part in the 1st year of the project will look to engage members of the community to do the same as Year 1 BUT instead of improving something within the school, will look to improve something within the local community.
Year 3 (2017 to 2018) The group of pupils (who will now be in Year 7), will work with the Comprehensive School staff to look at making changes within their new school and will also train the Year 5 pupils on how to use the ?Double Diamond» model to start the process all over again.
As part of the project, the schools have received funding to also provide:
- school leaders with the opportunity of visiting the partnership schools in Spain and Greece to look at how they are carrying out the project in their countries;
- class teachers to visit one of the schools in Spain and Greece to observe teaching and learning and bring back some new ideas that will have a positive impact on what we do within our school;
- a small group of pupils to spend a week in one of the schools in Spain and also one of the schools in Greece.
The partner Schools are: Malpas Primary School, Newport, St JamesPrimary School from Wales, and two Comprehensive Schools Cardiff High school and Cyfarthfa High School, Merthyr Tydfil.
Were very excited to see what our children will learn from taking part in the project but also to see what changes they will make to our school. We?re also looking forward to seeing the work our children do with members of the local community and the impact this has on improving things for everyone.
We will continue to keep everyone informed about the work that is going on in this project.